We recognise our ethical and legal responsibility to provide a safe and healthy work environment for workers, customers and visitors. We also recognise and accept our obligation that our operations do not place the community and the environment at risk of injury or damage.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
We will adopt procedures to –
- provide and maintain healthy and safe workplaces, safe plant and systems of work;
- provide written procedures and instructions to ensure safe work practices;
- ensure compliance with legislative requirements and current industry standards;
- provide such information, instruction, training and supervision to workers, customers and visitors as is necessary to ensure their continued healthy and safety; and
- provide support and assistance to workers and involve them in consultation on safety issues.
We recognise that the overall responsibility to provide a safe workplace rests with management, who will be accountable for the implementation of this policy. These responsibilities include –
- maintaining an effective WHS management system;
- ensuring that all WHS policies ad procedures are implemented;
- establishing measurable objectives and targets to ensure continued improvement aimed at the elimination of work-related injuries and illnesses;
- conducting scheduled and random inspections, internal and external audits to verify compliance; and providing adequate resources to meet these WHS commitments.
Workers also have responsibilities, which include –
- taking reasonable care of their own safety and not adversely affecting the health and safety of others at the workplace;
- following all WHS policies and procedures; and
- recognising hazards which may affect the health and safety of themselves, others, or the environment.
We are committed to encouraging consultation and co-operation between management and workers, by formally involving elected employee health and safety representatives in workplace change or matters that my affect the health and safety of workers in our workplaces.
All management and workers are required to adopt work practices that comply with this policy, failure to do so may result in disciplinary action.